Saturday, March 24, 2007

Well, I finally finished the Targhee. The 2nd skein was 690 yards, 20wpi. So it's grand total of approximately 1400 yards from 11 oz of fiber. I'm really happy with the way it turned out! Not so much for the weight, but because it's probably the most consistant yarn I've produced to date. 11 oz of it, no less! :-D

Of course, I was rushing out of the house to go on vacation just when I was finishing it, so it got balled and I'm using it right now. So no picture of the second skein. But I do have the shawl in progress. I really like how it's turning out. And since the 1st skein was a bit more of the pinks and reds, and the second skein was more yellows and oranges, I'm using the 2nd skein first. Then, I'll use the 1st skein next. Hopefully the end result is a gradual transition, with more yellow and orange near the top, and more orange and reds near the bottom. Of course, projects don't always go the way we plan -- we'll see what the final product looks like. Here's the current status:

0406-2

In addition, my daughter's Easter basket is currently going through the wash (so no picture currently available -- I'll add it in the next entry). Also, Carole pointed me towards a pattern for some cute Easter Peeps (obviously non-consumable), so I think I might try making 1 or 2 of them. And finally, I was going to also try and do one or two Curly Purly Eggs. All this before Sunday... maybe!

And, of course, I had to start another pair of socks. I figured for a change of pace, I'd try a toe-up pattern, so I'm using the pattern on Wendy Knits. I'm even doing the Feather and Fan pattern. Hopefully, this will go faster than the last pair! I've actually made quite a bit of progress, but that is partially b/c of being on a flight to and from Florida last week. Of course, I could have accomplished much more than this -- our flight back was a fiasco that involved 5.5 hrs to get from Ft. Lauderdale to Newark, with an unscheduled stopoff in Philly b/c we were running low on fuel (not something you want to be hearing at 30,000 feet!). Unfortunately, Cassie never took a nap. Mind you, her naptime is 1pm and bedtime at 8pm. We got to the airport around 12:30, were supposed to take off at 2pm, were delayed until almost 3:15, then didn't land in Newark until after 8:30. And she never slept! Although I was very proud of her... she was amazingly well behaved despite being stuck in either a carseat or stroller for pretty much 9 hrs door to door. She finally passed out exhausted 5 minute from the house! :-D Ah well, I guess the days of her reliably falling asleep in the carseat are over! It was good while it lasted! Now, just thank god for DVD players! :-D

Oh, so here's the progress on the first sock:

0406-1

My newest spinning project is an attempt at using navaho ply. It's BFL in a beautiful colorway called "Iris" from Zen String. It is varying shades of purple with small highlights of yellow/orange. But I was worried that the gold/orange colors would be lost in all the purple. So I decided it would probably be best to use navaho ply to preserve the color transitions. The only problem is that I suck at navaho ply! Of course, there was an article and pattern for exactly this on Knity -- Palette . So I decided it was kismet and it's going to become "Palette". Besides, you have to start somewhere.

Here's the current status. Just under 2oz completed. I still have a little over 2 oz to go:

0406-4

As you can see, it's REALLY thin. I've been shooting for about 45-50 wpi (I got one of those card thingy's for measuring -- I'm not obsessive compulsive enough to actually do all those wraps!) My hope is that the resulting yarn will be about 18 wpi.

And finally, my other new project. I've been inspired by Carole and am attempting my first washcloth. I know tons of people love making them. So I figured I'd give it a try. What's really nice is that it's a relatively short project, so I get the "reward" pretty quickly. I started yesterday, and here's where I stand right now:

0406-3

It's a very lovely pattern -- I found it here on Smariek Knits. She has quite a few really nice patterns. I'll probably a few other washcloth patterns (I really love the lacy heart pattern) and I really love her Persephone scarf too (what is it with me and greek mythology?!?!) My only problem is that I'm really a "chart" knitter. So, of course, being a computer geek as well, I can't go with the simple paper and pen approach. I can do a chart in Excel, but how to do the symbols? Well, turns out, someone created a font for it! YAY! I found it here at Aire River Designs. So I've created a chart for this washcloth, and now I'm a happy knitter...

1 comment:

CraftyCarole said...

mmmmmmmmm i LOVE the Targhee......the color is fantastic and what a great shawl it's making! I'm jealous. I havn't spunin whAst feels lke ages.....

welcome to the slippery path of making cloths heheheheheehehe