Friday, March 16, 2007

Flower Basket Shawl Blocked

Well, I finally got time to block the Flower Basket Shawl. Because I've become so addicted to lace knitting, I decided to try one of the wire blocking kits. I'm really happy with the kit b/c the blocking went MUCH smoother this time. It made it much easier to block it evenly. The last time, there was a bit of an "arc" to the center line. This one is much more even. So, here it is, first a full picture:
132_3227

Here's a closer shot where you can see what the pattern looks like:

132_3229

And, finally, a really close up one to see a detailed picture of the pattern. It turned out really nicely!

132_3231

The other thing I got to do was dye 2 4oz skeins of Knitpicks bare merino lace. I'm reasonably happy with the way it turned out. The color doesn't show up well in picture. And it looks better wound up than in the original dyed skein It's a pale periwinkle color. The only problem is that there were apparently a few bits of blue that didn't quite disolve -- I used some blue that I prepared back a while ago, so it was kind of a jello consistancy. So I have a few specks throughout the yarn. I'll have to see what it looks like in the end. They are REALLY tiny but they are significantly darker. We'll see. But here's a picture of it in the mean time:

132_3226

Changes I'd make in my process next time. I definitely need to make sure that I reheat "premixed" dyes thoroughly before adding it to the water. I really think that was all the problem was. That, and I probably should have made the water a bit warmer before adding the dyes. Finally, I think I've hit the limit for the crock pot. I don't think it can handle more than 4 oz. I'm going to try and find a larger metal pot that isn't too expensive.

Other than that, I've really just been making progress on projects. Nothing exciting enough to take pictures. First, the second sock that has been sitting there for a WHILE (I finished the first one at Thanksgiving! :-D). And second, the Fire Spirit targhee. I'm about 2/3 of the way through the last 5 oz. So I'm hoping to finish it up this weekend!

2 comments:

CraftyCarole said...

I love the flower basket shawl... you're gonna push me into making lace yet aren't you? Hm..... I have some crudo purewool to dye and about 800g of WOA in plain to dye. Did you use KP dyes? I'm thinking of ordering some when I order the Shine worsted to make a mobius scarf for SIL. She dislikes wool, but I think she'll like it in the cotton/modal mix, plus the drape on that yarn is just gorgeous.

Lea said...

You HAVE to try lace! :-D It's so much fun! Especially when you get the "reward" of blocking. If you do, I definitely recommend the first one I did -- the Forest Canopy Shawl. It was so easy! It was really only 3 lines to remember. I had it down within two or three rounds.

And I did use the Jaquard dyes (the ones KP carries). They are pretty easy... just be careful to follow the instructions on their website.