Wednesday, March 21, 2007

I've been a bit under the weather for the past few days, but seem to be doing better, so I wanted to try and at least put a quick post up. Partially b/c I got some beautiful stitch markers the other day that I wanted to post, plus I finally finished those socks!

First, the stitch markers from Sarah:

0321-1

Aren't they beautiful! And very well made, which is a necessity b/c of my new lace obsession. Otherwise, I'd constantly have to be untangling. MUCH better than the straw pieces (which, btw, have a tendency to slip under a stitch, which can REALLY throw things off!) Plus , she sent me an extra little treat:

0321-5

Yep -- silk hankies! I've really wanted to try them, but they aren't the type of thing you can just buy a few of...

Of course, with not feeling well, I didn't get a chance to try them out until today. But that's ok, I spent that time moisturizing my hands to cut down on the snagging. My hands have a tendency to be rough and dry to start with, so they desperately needed it anyways. They really are facinating to work with! It's like what I'd imagine pulling taffy is like. You have to pull pretty hard, but you need to make sure you don't overdo it and pull them apart. I managed to do 2 of them this evening. The first was REALLY slow getting it stretched out to my satisfaction, but the second went much quicker since I had a feel for it already. I think the first one I was just trying to be too delicate. By the second, I realized I really could pull much harder on the stuff. So, this is the results:

0321-4

Next, the socks. They already look a little stretched out, especially at the top. but that's just because my feet were cold when I finished them, so I couldn't resist putting them on. Of course, I never got around to taking the picture until a day later. The picture doesn't do justice to this colorway -- it's Gold Hill from Lorna's Laces.

0321-3

And finally, I'm ALMOST finished with the Targhee! There are only 4 fluff balls left. Here's a picture from earlier today, only b/c I thought it looked really cool :-D

0321-2

Next up, another pair of socks, a new shawl, and a new fiber. I've already picked out the shawl and socks, but I'm still trying to decide which fiber I want to start next. But I'll leave those for another day. I'm a bit tired and want to go to bed!

2 comments:

CraftyCarole said...

Trying again. So what will you do with the silk? Don't start me on another fiber please!!! (you're an enabler you know)

Sarah's stitch markers are gorgeous. I was thinking of getting myself some, but I think I'm going to try my hand at making them first (although her's are incredibly well made) It's just that I have this huge box of beeds and everything else that I need (wires, pliers etc)

Did you go and get the fleece from that farm on St. Patty's day. If I remember right that was the weekend with the lousy weather.

Lea said...

I didn't get the fleece... the prices were just a little too high for me. Besides, I realized I have SO much fiber, I really need to get through that first. As for the silk... I haven't quite figured it out. I'm just having fun spinning it. I'll probably end up plying it with a wool, just to stretch it a bit.

And you can blame Sarah, actually. She's the one who started it! :-D