Saturday, June 30, 2007

2 in one day... this may be a record! :-D

OK, so I'm finally trying to catch up on my blogs, and was a bit oblivious that I was tagged! Sorry Annalea, I'll use that it was early in the morning as my excuse :-D Oh, and happy belated birthday!

The details are that I'm supposed to find 3 events, 2 births, and 1 holiday on my birthday

So, I just went to Wikipedia for my birthday -- Nov 24:

Events:

1859 - Charles Darwin publishes The Origin of Species.

1947 - Red Scare: After refusing to co-operate with the House Un-American Activities Committee concerning allegations of Communist influence in the movie industry, the United States House of Representatives votes 346 to 17 to approve citations of contempt of Congress against the so-called Hollywood 10.

1963 - John F. Kennedy assassination: Alleged assassin Lee Harvey Oswald is mortally shot by Jack Ruby in Dallas, Texas on live national television.

I'll admit, I already knew about the last one. As a history major in college (I know from history major to professional computer geek, now to a budding yarn artist... it's a weird path!) Don't ask me why I picked the Red Scare... I guess because I always think of it as one of the darker moments in our nations history, when the government decided they knew better than our founding fathers. It seemed an appropriate reminder considering how some in our current government seem to be approaching their positions as well...

And, well, to be honest, I just thought it was cool that I was born on the same day that Origin of the Species was published! :-D

Births (I picked the only two, other than a former president, that I recognized!):

1690 - Charles Theodore Pachelbel, German composer (d. 1750)

1864 - Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, French painter (d. 1901)

One Holiday: Well, this one is actually deceptive. I've had WAY too many birthdays on Thanksgiving to not at least mention that one. But technically, it doesn't qualify because it's not on the same day every year, so here's an "official" one!

Roman festivals - in the Byzantine empire the Brumalia (a wine festival) were celebrated from this day until the winter solstice

I'll go tag a few blogs in the am, but didn't want Annalea thinking I was ignoring her!

1 comment:

Annalea said...

No worries, Lea. :o) I figured your first post was plenty long enough to get back into things, and you'd get to the meme when you could. :o) It was great to see the pretty things you've been working on . . .

Thanks for indulging me. :o)

Have a great weekend!