Monday, May 14, 2007

Fire Spirit - Icarus Shawl

Well, I finally finished it! I completed the knitting on Saturday and blocked it Saturday night. Just in time so I could wear it for Mother's Day! :-D I was so proud of it. Here are a few photos. Oh, and notice I included the backyard in the background. Just to prove it isn't usually underwater! Plus, you can kind of see our new "addition" to the yard that my daughter is currently obsessed with! LOL

134_3449

134_3456

134_3457_edited-1

The preblocked size was 25" x 50" and the final blocked dimensions are 32" x 66". Plus, I still have quite a bit of yarn left, so I'd guess I used about 7 oz of yarn (I really need to get a scale!)

In addition, I just finished a sophie purse from Magknits (http://www.magknits.com/warm04/patterns/sophie.htm) that I made for Cassie. But it still needs a tad more blocking, so I'm holding off on the photo. But in the mean time, it did help me discover one thing. Felted wool would make AWESOME oven mitt. How do I know this? Well, I decided to try and iron out some of the wrinkles, figuring it'd have the dual purpose of making the felted fabric a bit smoother too. Since I couldn't get the purse opening over the end of the ironing board, I ended up ironing it... well, on my hand! I stuck my hand in and proceeded to iron. And it worked great! Plus, I could barely feel the iron through the fabric... amazing!

Other than that, I'm still working my way through the Pomegranite. It's slow going b/c I'm making it laceweight, plus I was spending most of my time finishing up the shawl... Hopefully I'll have more time this week and can finish it up by the end of the week.

Next up is a "cleanup round". I have several projects floating around in various states of incompletion. So I'm going to go around, collect them, and hopefully finish some of them up. By then, I should be finished with the Pomegranite and ready to start on the next fiber (probably a worsted weight Fiore BFL, then some white fingering merino tencel I got to make a shawl for my mom). We shall see...

That's it for now. Just wanted to post the pictures of Icarus now that it's finished!

6 comments:

Annalea said...

Speaking of potholders . . .

http://www.magknits.com/Dec06/patterns/easygoing.htm

http://www.knitpicks.com/Hot+Out+of+the+Oven_PD50516220.html

I enjoyed reading about your Icarus shawl. :o) Have fun!

Spiffy Knits! said...

Lea -- it really is just stunning.

I think the Sofia bag is the same one I made for Anneke. It is really great. I added some citron stripes to turquoise (Cascade 220) and it was adorable.

The oven mitt is a great idea. I would just worry about spilling food and it being a dinner bell for wool moths. I supposed felted can be washed often!

Lea said...

Ironically -- I was planning on doing the knitpicks one! I had already seen it before. Although the yarn I was planning on using is a solid color. It's a dark rose -- I figure it should hide stains well!

And I'm not too worried about moths. They can't do much worse than I already do myself :-D. You should see the condition of my mits! And at least wool is flame resistant. You can't say that about most store bought oven mits...

Spiffy Knits! said...

Amen, sister! Mine are a mess! I need to toss them and start fresh. I might join you in the Oven Mitt KAL!

CraftyCarole said...

mmmmmmm...so pretty and I love the colors.

Looks like Cassie should be having lots of fun outside this summer!

Sofie? I think I made that bag last year... and I put a lining in it.. It's a fun purse to make. Was my first try at felting (well actually the second.. .the first was a sad demise!) Mine was mint green, kelly green and hunter green.


Maybe we should have an oven mitt KAL... I could make some for our kitchen :-)

Annalea said...

Lea, I just keep thinking of this shawl, and love the way the pattern works so well with the fire spirit yarn. I'm thinking I need to get myself a copy of that pattern . . .

Gorgeous, gorgeous, Gorgeous!