Monday, February 19, 2007

So, I've finished turning both the Romney (Fuzzy) and the Raw Targhee into singles. It was really nice to have smaller chunks of both, if only b/c I knew I didn't have enough to make anything out of them, so I could just play w/o guilt of wasting it. So I tried again to do a long draw. And guess what... I did it! Well, I've technically been able to do it one other time, but it broke every few feet, so I just gave up and went back to my inchworm approach. This time I was successfully getting it to spin w/o tons of breaks. Was it the best work I've done? Hell, no. But my first attempts at inchworming were pretty ugly too. And now, I do a pretty good job of producing a reasonably consistant yarn with that method. And honestly, by the time I got to the end of the targhee, it wasn't too bad.... still a bit lumpy and bumpy, but that's pretty much true for me anytime I work with carded fiber . That may be normal, I just don't know.

Now, in fairness, part of the reason I haven't done it much up to now is also b/c I haven't had much carded fiber to work with.... Which really is necessary, I think, when you are starting out. It may be possible to do it with top once you get the hang of it. But I'm definitely not there yet!

The good news? It seems like most of that inconsistancy disappears once you ply. And the more plies you use, the better it's hidden. That's why, until I get a bit better, I'm sticking to 3 ply for carded fiber. It may be more work, but I'm happier with the results.

No comments: