Friday, January 19, 2007


Just because it shows off the beautiful colors of the Clapotis, I wanted to post this photo. The previous pictures really didn't do the colors justice!


Plus, I am so excited -- this is a photo of my FIRST felted item (while drying). Not so thrilled with the stripe pattern, but that's my fault for winging it... Still, it's so cool to see one item go into the washer, and have this come out! The one part I did like was that I did an alternating slip stitch at each color convert so it has almost fuzzy edges between colors.

Next, I'm going to try an easter basket for Cassie. I got the Nantasket Basket pattern for that, so hopefully it will work out as well. The one thing I have to say is that it has a really cool bottom rim on it. I may have to try it out on this pattern as well in the future!

Right now I'm still trying to figure out which colors to go with for the basket, using leftovers from this project.

This, is the Blueberry Merino Tencel washed and skeined. It is about 10 WPI, and it looks beautiful. I think it is destined to be a cable scarf pattern I found.

Of course, I only need so many scarves, so I now have to figure out who to give it to.

In addition, this is showing off my BEAUTIFUL christmas gift from my hubby! A Golding Spindle... yay! It is so well balanced and spins like a dream. I still love my Rose best, but, of course, it isn't very portable, so this will be nice for going out and about!

As I mentioned yesterday, I figured I'd also post a picture of the other calorimetry hat I did (I actually did two of them, but have already gifted the other). It's made of some of my first handspun I did with some Ashland Bay Colonial in Wildberry.


And, finally, back to current projects. I'm still working on the pants for my dd. I was so excited about the felting project that it kind of got pushed to the side for a few days. But now I'm back to it. Hopefully, I should be finishing it in a day or so. I only have one leg left.

For spinning, I'm starting a new project. This is 11oz of beautiful handyed Targhee I got from Blue Ridge Silk Works (www.dyepot.com) It reminds me of a fruity tropical drink you'd get in the Carribean! This is the thinnest I've spun to date, so it's probably going to take me a while to finish! I still haven't decided whether I'm going to do a two ply (which will make it a fingering weight) or a 3-ply (which, I'm guessing, will bring it closer to a heavy dk or light worsted... not sure yet). I figured I'd get a little further through the first bobbin, then try out both and see. I've been breaking up the roving cord into MANY thin strips to preserve the colors. So far, it seems to be working.



















My biggest excitement was that the co-op I'm involved in for Zen String closed. It filled last week in less than 5 minutes -- 200 skeins worth! This past week has been the fun "color negotiation" phase. Now we're just one step closer to the ultimate in "yarn fluffy day":-D . Of course we now have the long wait while Angelina dyes all that yarn. I can't imagine how overwhelming that must be for her. We probably won't get the stuff until mid-March at the earliest. But it's worth the wait... her yarn is beautiful!

1 comment:

CraftyCarole said...

what beautiful stuff. I love the friuty roving...great colors your calorimetry and clapotis turned out awesome...can't beleive you just started knitting.

ok gottta get to work!